Hey guys! Aprons are done! Aren’t you impressed? You should be. If you remember, I had a heck of a time trying to find fabric; large print pink gingham and green gingham, like so:
After much wailing, gnashing of teeth, shopping online, and getting my steps in at various fabric stores, my rockstar MIL found a couple of affordable table runners online. I hadn’t considered that, because I thought they wouldn’t be wide enough, but she said she thought they’d be fine for little girls, and, of course, she was right.
I’m not really much of a seamstress, so I used this stuff, I just cut my fabric, folded it over with the “bonding web” in between the fold, and ironed it. It didn’t leave a bunch of lumps like the fabric glue I usually use, so that’s awesome!
The table runners are sort of sturdy (but still fabric) polyester, so the edges don’t really fray, that helps a lot.
From what I can tell from pictures and our Amiibo figure of Mabel, the aprons aren’t tied in back, it’s just a solid band. So instead of using a white ribbon for the waist and neck as I originally intended, I decided to use wide elastic. I ironed that on with the “bonding web” as well, but since it’s going to be pulled on a lot, I needed to sew a bit to keep everything together. My first stitch was not great:
I spent a bit of time googling, it turns out I was using a hem stitch…it’s all I could remember from my days being homeschooled as a kid. So I switched over to a running stitch, and went along the existing stitch along the edge. It worked way better.
I’m not ready for a professional gig or anything, but, hey, it’s sturdy and it could be way worse.
The final product turned out great (IMHO). The girls seem pretty happy with them, too.